Prevention Institute and its staff, led by founder Larry Cohen, are national experts on the topic of prevention. Prevention saves money, improves health and builds thriving communities, by preventing illness and injury before they ever happen. Whether you're crafting an article on sugary snacks, or trying to understand how prevention got into the health reform bill (and what it means) we're here to help.
Prevention Institute and staff have helped shift local, state and national policies on topics from smoking to healthy eating to preventing violence to health reform. Some landmark results include:
- Working with federal legislators to include earmarked funds for prevention in ARRA recovery funds and national health reform legislation--and garnering bi-partisan support.
- Making the economic case for prevention, showing prevention efforts demonstrate a 5-to-1 ROI within five years.
- Creating the first multi-county smoking ordinances in the country.
- Drafting language and policy recommendations, through Strategic Alliance initiative, resulting in groundbreaking California legislation to encourage joint use, create access to fresh water in schools, and ban sweetened beverage sales in schools.
Here's how our work can make your work stronger
- Press Email updates Get up-to-the-minute data and press releases right to your inbox, complete with quotes, facts and sources.
- PI Expertise Bolster your argument with accurate data, and add flavor to your content with quotes from our experts in health and prevention.
- Our Approach Read the PI one-pager for an overview of our work and philosophy
- Press Releases Get breaking news, publications and commentary featuring the PI Perspective
- Story Ideas Struggling for a hook? We've got a few great angles on prevention to help.
- PI in the News See how we're making headlines.
Please direct all media inquiries to:
- Rob Waters, Chief Communications Officer
510.444.7738 ext. 317 or 510.703.1199 (c)
- Lily Swartz, Communications Coordinator
510.444.8027 ext. 330