Tuesday, May 01, 2012
Please join us for this interactive Web Forum
Tuesday, May 1
10:00 AM to 11:30 AM Pacific Daylight Time
1:00 PM to 2:30 PM Eastern Daylight Time
We invite you to attend a special Dialogue4Health Web Forum on May 1, Weight of the Nation Day, in advance of the May 14-15 nationwide release of HBO's The Weight of the Nation film series, and corresponding public health campaign.
Confirmed presenters are:
- William H. Dietz, MD, PhD, Director of The Division of Nutrition, Physical Activity, and Obesity at the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention
- Maya M. Rockeymoore, PhD, Director of Leadership for Healthy Communities and President and CEO of Global Policy Solutions
- Loel S. Solomon, PhD, Vice President of Community Health at Kaiser Permanente
- Naz Habtezghi of HBO will present an 11 minute 'preview' of the Weight of the Nation documentary film
- Tyler Norris, MDiv, Convener of Advancing the Movement, Community Commons and Senior Advisor for Total Health at Kaiser Permanente, will serve as session moderator.
Join us, and civic leaders from across the nation, to learn about the compelling The Weight of the Nation films and campaign assets, and how these can be employed by you, your organization and affiliations, and community partnerships to create healthier built, food, beverage, social and community environments.
The Web Forum will address the key themes of The Weight of the Nation, and how you can grow the distributed movement for a healthier nation by mobilizing individuals, organizations, and place-based partnerships - everywhere -- to host screenings events and actions that can:
- Start new conversations in homes, neighborhoods, worksites, clinical settings, faith settings, and schools.
- Deepen existing conversations and actions - especially within the existing movement of place-based partnerships and collaboratives.
- Build widespread constituency for targeted actions and environmental changes that support healthy living where we live, learn, work, play, worship, and vote.
HBO and the Institute of Medicine (IOM), in association with the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and the National Institutes of Health (NIH), and in partnership with the Michael & Susan Dell Foundation and Kaiser Permanente, launched THE WEIGHT OF THE NATION as a campaign to raise public awareness of the seriousness of the obesity epidemic. Over the course of three years, HBO worked with IOM and other researchers on the science and economics of obesity, talked to the country's leading experts on this issue, and traveled nationwide to meet hundreds of Americans who are struggling with obesity, and examined the strategies that are being employed to create a healthier nation.
The journey to a healthier nation begins with each of us. Join us on May 1 to begin the journey.
A program of the Public Health Institute's Dialogue4Health Taking on the Weight of the Nation Web Forum is a free, interactive forum that brings leading experts together to examine this issue and offer surprising insights critical to anyone concerned about the health of our nation. For more information, email Dialogue4Health@phi.org or call (510) 285-5690.