Wednesday, May 09, 2012 (8:00AM - 4:00PM)
Chapel Hill, NC
North Carolina Injury and Violence Prevention Conference
Collaboration for an Injury Free NC
May 9, 2012
Chapel Hill, North Carolina
8:00-9:00 a.m. Registration and Continental Breakfast
9:00-10:00 Opening Key Note: Larry Cohen of the Prevention Institute
10:00-10:30 Break: Networking and 10 Minutes of Tai Chi
10:30-11:45 Morning Breakout Sessions (choose one)
- Policy: Laws and practices that make everyone safe. Perspectives on North Carolina injury prevention policies, and how you can affect change in your community.
- Injury Data and Surveillance: What are the biggest causes of injury and violence in North Carolina? Where can you find injury data? Where can you find local data?
- Evidence-Based Best Practices: Making sure the work you do is really saving lives!
11:45-12:55 Networking Lunch (Provided)
1:00-2:15 Afternoon Breakout Sessions (choose one):
- These sessions focus on a specific injury subject and will be covered broadly from defining the issues, presenting the epi burden in NC, effective/promising programs in NC, and policy considerations/recommendations.
- Motor Vehicle Crashes: addressing the leading cause of death for North Carolinians in their first four decades of life with prevention programs that work.
- Prescription Drug Poisonings: The epidemic of unintentinoal overdose and what is being done to address it.
- Bike/Pedestrian injury prevention: complete streets and injury prevention
2:45-4:00 Closing Plenary: American Trauma Society Presentations by 2011 ATS grantees; Workforce development training kickoff and Safe Kids highlights
4:00-4:15 Raffle and Adjourn