"$2 million in grants will focus on violence, jobs training, child development and care for elderly" (12.14.11)
Since 2009, St. Joseph Medical Center has been working with local leaders as well as the nationally recognized Prevention Institute on a public-health approach to reducing violence.
"Food giants fight proposed nutrition guidelines" (12.12.11)
The Food and Beverage Industries' efforts to oppose federal guidelines limiting junk food marketing to kids mirror Big Tobacco's tactics of the 1980s. Prevention Institute's Sana Chehimi is quoted.
Opinion: "From graffiti to corn" (11.18.11)
Read Denver Councilman Paul Lopez's op-ed in the Denver Post on national cuts to youth violence prevention funding. Denver is also one of Prevention Institute's UNITY (Urban Networks to Increase Thriving Youth) cities.
"What’s in a food policy?" (11.3.11)
How can policy decisions help define what foods will be most readily available and affordable in any given neighborhood? PI's Spectrum of Prevention helps chart changes at all six levels of action to increase health.
- "California shut out of shocking new farm scheme" (10.26.11)
- "Reaching to the stars in an effort to reduce obesity" (10.24.11)
- "Proposed new food labels would rate nutrition" (10.21.11)
- "The Candification of Our Food: The Case of the Fruit-Less Fruit Snack" (10.20.11)
- "Youth Violence: Prevention Loses Out to Incarceration As Stryve Grant and CDC Funds Axed; Advocates say Senate Appropriations committee has its priorities wrong" (9.29.11)