"California shut out of shocking new farm scheme" (10.26.11)
Prevention Institute, along with other California food, health and environmental groups have sent a letter that garnered more than 16,000 signatures, urging California's Congressional delegation, Gov. Jerry Brown and state farm and health officials to lobby for changes that would protect current conservation programs, the incorporation of fresh fruits and vegetables into federal food programs and more.
"Reaching to the stars in an effort to reduce obesity" (10.24.11)
The Institute of Medicine recommended a new logo for the front of all packaged food sold in grocery stores. Prevention Institute's study, Claiming Health: Front of Package Labeling of Children's Food is cited.
"Proposed new food labels would rate nutrition" (10.21.11)
The Institute of Medicine recently released recommendations for a new logo for the front of all packaged food sold in grocery stores that would give consumers a quick assessment of its nutrition value. Prevention Institute's Juliet Sims comments on Industry responsibility to promote health.Read more...
"The Candification of Our Food: The Case of the Fruit-Less Fruit Snack" (10.20.11)
The Center for Science in the Public Interest is challenging General Mills for promoting sugary treats as a healthful alternative to real fruit. The findings from Prevention Institute's study Claiming Health are cited to help make the case against deceptive food marketing.Read more...
- "Senate bill would hurt youth violence prevention programs" (9.26.11)
- "After another senseless death, listen to youth speak in art" (9.21.11)
- "Senate vote could undercut funding for new Multnomah County youth violence-prevention program" (9.22.11)
- Oakland celebrates the update and rerelease of influential book 'Helping Teens Stop Violence'" (9.1.11)
- "Strategic Alliance joins Center for Science in the Public Interest to launch Food Day 2011" (8.25.11)