Data Management Support Specialist with PHI
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally and internationally. PHI was distinguished as one of the top 50 “Best Non-profit Organizations to Work For” by the Non-Profit Times in a national search.
PHI is seeking Data Management Support Providers for an anticipated task order to support the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention in its efforts to provide technical assistance and support to the Government of India in identifying, responding, treating, and containing the spread of EBOLA by ensuring emergency and immediate application of comprehensive EBOLA response interventions; and building the capacity of the host government to detect and respond to global infectious disease threats and related public health security challenges.
Note: This position is contingent on contract award.
The mission of the HHS/Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) is to promote the health and quality of life of people by preventing and controlling disease, injury and disability; and to protect Americans both domestic and abroad, by shielding them from health threats via international prevention, detection and response networks. CDC, through its Center for Global Health (CGH) is in a unique position to bring its scientific expertise, subject matter experts in disease outbreaks such as EBOLA and credibility to advance the global initiatives of the United States Government (USG) to save lives, reduce suffering, and support the health and dignity of people around the world. The key elements of CDC’s global health strategy are to:
- Assist Ministries of Health to plan and implement evidence based public health programs.
- Achieve the goals adopted by the USG and international organizations to improve health, including disease eradication and elimination
- Expand CDC’s global health programs that focus on the leading causes of mortality, morbidity and disability, especially chronic disease and
- Generate and apply scientific knowledge to achieve health goals.
- Strengthen health systems and their impact.
Duties & Responsibilities:
To satisfy the overall objectives of CDC India and international collaboration responsibilities, the Data Management Support Providers will provide technical assistance, consultation and support services to the EBOLA response and recovery efforts in India for epidemiologic and laboratory information system/programs and data management methods for clinical and diagnostic data. Three personnel will be hired for this service. All will be based in New Delhi and each will be assigned to provide data management support for one of three highly affected areas (New Delhi, Amritsar, Ludhiana); (Lucknow, Patna, Jaipur); (Mumbai Indore, and Bhopal).
Data Management Support Providers will:
- Participate as a member of the international EBOLA response team and assist CDC in their efforts to provide overall expert technical support to the host country government laboratory and epidemiologic data activities being supported through collaborative EBOLA response and recovery efforts by the government and international partners. This may include development of strategies to improve the quality of data.
- Collaborate closely with CDC and the in-country response team, coordinating laboratory and epidemiologic data management activities with detection, prevention, care and treatment program areas.
- Analyze data from assessments conducted in priority areas and work with team leads to incorporate appropriate activities/strategies into work plans; activities will be related to EBOLA surveillance, suspected EBOLA case investigation, care and monitoring, EBOLA outbreak investigation and response planning/implementation, epidemiological data analysis, and routine immunization services.
- Maintain and manage an up-to-date and accurate database that is used for describing the outbreak and doing epidemiological data analysis.
- Work closely with government and other CDC lab partners and epidemiologists to improve data quality.
- Maintain and run SAS program(s) to clean and merge data. Manage and analyze data for risk assessments.
- Work with team leads to track progress towards implementing specific priority country work plans.
- Conduct periodic analyses of current epidemiologic data related to EBOLA, outbreaks, and surveillance and priority areas.
- Provide technical assistance as needed to CDC India in other areas of data management (EQA) programs, studies, etc.
- Coordinate, facilitating and participate in meetings sponsored by CDC Country Office and international Ebola Response partners.
- Travel to Amritsar, Lucknow, and Mumbai, India to analyze data from suspected Ebola cases.
- Master’s degree in Public Health Sciences or related field.
- Minimum 4 years’ experience, with progressive responsibility in working with epidemiology and laboratory information systems and providing data management solutions.
- Three years of experience in coordinating multi-agency public health programs at regional, national, sub national, local levels, international experience preferred.
- Experience in International public health, disease surveillance (active and passive), and Outbreak and case investigations.
- Working knowledge of SAS, SPSS, Excel, Microsoft Access.
- Excellent communication and writing skills. Experience in development of strategic documents, briefing documents, and reports.
- Level IV speaking and writing proficiency in English.
- Language proficiency in Hindi and Marathi preferred.
- Ability to effectively communicate in English on a daily basis with various groups (Speaking, Reading and Writing).
This is an exempt position and the salary is commensurate with experience. PHI offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, short/long term disability insurance, life insurance, 403b (group retirement annuity) and partial subsidy of public transportation cost. For more information about PHI’s benefits, visit our benefits page at https://www.phi.org.
How to apply:
To apply for this position visit our Career Site at https://www.phi.jobs.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA Employer
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE