Grants & Contracts Specialist III, Public Health Institute
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally and internationally. PHI was distinguished as one of the top 50 “Best Non-profit Organizations to Work For” by the Non-Profit Times in a national search.
PHI is seeking a Grants and Contracts Specialist III. This position is located in Oakland, CA.
The Grants and Contracts Specialist III is responsible for post-award management and monitoring for an assigned group of grants and contracts funded by federal, state and other funding agencies. Under general direction of the Grants and Contracts Supervisor/Manager, the G&C Specialist III oversees a diverse and complex research portfolio and is able to use independent judgment in order to respond to and resolve complex issues, questions, or concerns for principal investigators/project directors. Is able to provide guidance to less experienced Specialists and assist them in the interpretation of regulations and policies.
Incumbent is independently responsible for providing highly analytical and sophisticated financial support in all aspects of post award grant and contract management, budget development, financial reporting, compliance, audit, terms and conditions review, and closeout activities. Prepares subcontracts/agreements of diverse scope where analysis of data requires thorough understanding of complex regulations or unique contracting terms. May act as a backup reviewer for transactions and contracts.
Incumbent will be considered the expert regarding PI/PD portfolio, serves as the single point of contact for project staff and funders, and works in collaboration with other PHI departments.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Works closely Grants and Contracts Management Team to identify, develop, and evaluate areas within grant and contract that can create improvement in operations or work efficiencies based on process changes.
- Manages all phases of post-award grants and contracts administration.
- Provides post-award advice and guidance, both of a general nature and project-specific, to Principal Investigators and Program Directors (PI/PDs) with respect to special terms and conditions of an award, interpretation of contract language, and regulatory and compliance requirements.
- Interacts with PI/PDs, staff, and funding agencies to resolve complex problems that cross departmental lines within PHI and to optimize the use of funds.
- Utilizes ERP database system to set up activities and to generate, analyze, maintain and monitor budgets.
- Works closely with the PI/PDs and their staff in developing and negotiating of the scope of work, budget details and other project performance-related matters.
- Prepares subaward/sub-contract and consultant agreements, amendments, supplements and continuation applications.
- Reviews and approves expenditures
- Prepares data for financial reports, budgets, budget and research fund reconciliations, forecasting, analysis, and ad-hoc reports for PHI staff and PI/PDs as needed. Perform complex data analysis.
- Advises and assists the Bid & Proposal Department in the administrative aspects of proposal development and submission, including cost proposal and project budget preparation, advice on the impact of funding agency post-award policies and procedures on a proposed project, and similar matters.
- Leads negotiation of awards and contracts with funding agencies, sub awardees, and principal investigators as needed.
- Bachelor’s degree in public or business administration, finance or accounting or four years of equivalent experience.
- Society of Research Administrators (SRA) financial certificate or equivalent training required.
- Advanced degree or certification in business administration, accounting or research administration preferred. 5 or more years of extensive experience in research administration or related area which included budget development and analysis and significant customer contact.
- Expert knowledge of pertinent federal and non-profit sponsor regulations including OMB Circulars, Grants Policy Statements, and Federal Acquisition Regulation where applicable.
- Independent judgment supported by strong understanding of the institutional and sponsor policies related to research administration.
- Excellent written and verbal communications skills.
- Ability to work well under tight deadlines.
- Good communication and customer service skills to interact well with a wide range of customers and stakeholders.
- Experience and competence in writing and interpreting contracts and agreements.
- Excellent analytical skills leading to excellent problem solving.
- Demonstrated administrative abilities including attention to detail and organization.
- Advanced skills in computer applications including Microsoft Excel, Word, and Adobe Acrobat. Skill in creating queries and reports using Microsoft Access preferred
- Ability to work with a sophisticated database system (Oracle PeopleSoft preferred) to maintain fiscal and administrative records.
- Expertise in the areas of fiscal management, human/animal subject compliance, intellectual property, conflict of interest, procurement, property management, environmental health and safety, and human resources (for program positions).
- Expert knowledge of federal, state and non-profit sponsor regulations, policies, requirements, procedures and areas of interest.
- Leadership and mentoring skills to develop and oversee less experienced analysts.
- Occasional travel required.
This is an exempt position and the salary is commensurate with experience. PHI offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, short/long term disability insurance, life insurance, 403b (group retirement annuity) and partial subsidy of public transportation cost. For more information about PHI’s benefits, visit our benefits page at https://www.phi.org.
How to apply:
To apply for this position visit our Career Site at https://www.phi.jobs.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA Employer
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE