Grantwriter with Community Coalition
JOB TITLE: Grantwriter
REPORTS TO: Deputy Director of Advancement
MISSION STATEMENT: To help transform the social and economic conditions in South Los Angeles that foster addiction, crime, violence and poverty by building a community institution capable of involving thousands in creating, influencing and changing public policy.
ORGANIZATION OVERVIEW: Community Coalition is a non-profit social justice organization working to address social and economic conditions in South LA by empowering residents to fight for policy solutions that build up the community. Since 1990, Community Coalition has built a groundbreaking, community-driven approach to creating change. We elevate the voices of our members, shift power to the community, and tackle the root causes of poverty, crime and violence. Together we are creating a more prosperous, safer and healthier South LA. Community Coalition’s projects and victories include stopping the expansion of liquor stores in South LA, supporting gang violence prevention programs, creating foster and family care support programs, hosting art and music festivals and healthcare enrollment fairs. Community Coalition has also registered and mobilized thousands of voters in South LA, participated in the process to create a federal Promise Zone for South Los Angeles and creates leadership opportunities for young people with the South Central Youth Empowered through Action program and Freedom School, among other projects. Community Coalition is an equal opportunity employer. People of all races, religions, and gender identities are encouraged to apply.
DEVELOPMENT DEPARTMENT OVERVIEW: Community Coalition’s Development Department is responsible for raising the organization’s annual operating budget, which is approximately $8 million. Members of the Department work with fellow staff and management to execute strategies with foundations, federal and local government departments and individual donors to reach this goal.
POSITION DESCRIPTION: Under the direct supervision of the Deputy Director of Advancement, this position’s primary responsibilities will consists of crafting and submitting funding proposals that 1) tell a compelling story of the Coalition’s vision, history and accomplishments, 2) document (both quantitatively and qualitatively) pressing community issues and their impact on South Los Angeles residents, and 3) clearly assert strategies, goals and objectives to alleviate community issues and achieve intended outcomes; as well as crafting and submitting compelling foundation grant reports that comprehensively reflect the scope of work completed and positions the organization for continued funding partnerships. The Grantwriter will also identify, research and track potential funding opportunities from private foundations and corporations, as well as assist in the creation and submission of narrative and financial reports required for the maintenance of existing grant contracts.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES (Other duties may be assigned):
- Write and submit compelling narratives, and complete/compile supplemental documentation for most foundation and private grant applications
- Prepare & submit interim & final narrative and budget reports to foundation funders
- Help cultivate funder engagement/relationships by attending necessary grant workshops, supporting funder site visits, interacting with and responding to questions from foundation and corporate representatives, and participating in relevant discussions and meetings.
- Maintain funding calendar with key dates/deadlines related to foundation and private grant opportunities
- Help execute strategies, i.e. event invitations, thank you letters etc., to foster strong funder relationships with the organization
- Assist with donor cultivation events, including the annual People, Power, Progress Awards gala
- Co-lead the solicitation of donations and the coordination of the logistics of the People, Power, Progress Award’s silent auction
- Research and stay abreast of funding opportunities, sources and trends in the fundraising landscape
- Assist in the day-to-day activities of the Development Department including but not limited to maintaining grant files, rapid-response funding-related requests and other duties as assigned by the Development Director and Executive Team.
- 3-5 years of grant writing experience.
- Familiarity with South Los Angeles and issues impacting the community.
- Knowledge of proper English usage, spelling, grammar and punctuation.
- Knowledge of proper telephone and e-mail etiquette.
- Ability to write clearly and informatively, adapt writing style and focus, and leverage data to make a compelling case for funding
- Ability to research and find pertinent information effectively and efficiently
- Skill in independently prioritizing, planning, coordinating, organizing, leading and monitoring multiple projects simultaneously and quickly adapting to changes in time frames.
- Ability to execute detailed tasks successfully
- Skill in communicating effectively (both orally and in writing)
- Highly effective organizational and time management skills.
- Exemplary customer service skills including the ability to identify needs, provide prompt response, and exercise patience, respect and professionalism in all interactions.
- Highly proficient computer skills including Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and email applications.
Please send resume, cover letters and a 3-5 page writing sample to firstname.lastname@example.org, the
subject should read “Grantwriter: First Name Last Name”. No phone calls please.
Please find the job opportunity in the attached. Our range for the position is $65K - 75K and we offer full employer-sponsored benefits for employees and their families.