Information Technology Specialist II, Public Health Institute
The Public Health Institute (PHI) is an independent, nonprofit organization dedicated to promoting health, well-being and quality of life for people throughout California, across the nation and around the world. As one of the largest and most comprehensive public health organizations in the nation, we are at the forefront of research and innovations to improve the efficacy of public health statewide, nationally and internationally. PHI was distinguished as one of the top 50 “Best Non-profit Organizations to Work For” by the Non-Profit Times in a national search.
PHI is seeking a full time Information Technology Specialist II for the Global Health Fellows Program II. This position is located in Washington, DC.
Provide day-to-day desktop and network support to GHFP II DC staff, fellows and interns located at the Annex, DC main, overseas, and the RRB. Technical support includes maintaining, configuring and troubleshooting desktop/laptop computers, software applications, phone hardware, printers, and network hardware for up to 60+ users.
Duties & Responsibilities:
- Assists staff and fellows with installation, configuration, and ongoing usability of desktop computers, laptops, peripheral equipment, and software.
- Provides day-to-day IT operations and systems support to staff, fellows and interns.
- Troubleshoot hardware and software issues on-site, remotely, and via phone.
- Responsible for the laptop pool including loaning and receiving laptops, repairing and reconfiguring laptops, and maintaining the web-based log.
- Perform workstation setup including hardware configuration, software installation, and printer and phone connectivity.
- Provide information to staff and fellows on the capabilities and limitations of available software systems.
- Install and configure new systems, maintain current platforms of internal servers and networking equipment.
- Coordinate user and staff testing of software, assist with development of test plans, participate in testing and provide appropriate documentation of any problems found.
- Implement networking solutions, including routing, firewall rules and switching.
- Provide telephone support to the end-users on hardware, software, general use, questions, and network related problems.
- Serve as resource and/or decision maker to resolve issues revealed during installation of network and systems.
- Maintains antivirus and security software systems for workstations and servers.
- Maintains patch management for workstations and servers.
- Keeps current the working knowledge of a variety of commonly used hardware and software applications.
- Provide technical support for internal and external onsite meetings.
- Provide timely responses to staff and fellows on IT requests.
- Provide conference and training room IT equipment setup (laptop, projector and videoconference equipment).
- Work with the Director of IT and the IT support specialist to prioritize all IT tasks. Appropriately escalate issues to the Director of IT as necessary.
- Responsible for daily network management and monitoring. Maintains fax, printer, copier, and conference room hardware.
- Work with vendors to resolve technical problems with desktop computing equipment, software, printers and phone system.
- Conduct basic end user training. Maintain Antivirus for workstations.
- Other IT and miscellaneous duties as required.
- High School diploma required
- A+, Network+, MCP, MCSE is preferred
- Any other certification in the IT filed is desired
- AA degree in Computer Science or related field preferred
- 4 years of hands on experience supporting Windows XP and Windows 7 operating systems
- 4 years of hands on experience installing and troubleshooting hardware and software
- 4 years of excellent customer service experience
- Some experience with virus/malware protection, detection and removal
- Must be able to assist or train users with MS office 2003-2010 applications
- Good understanding of the web based technology
- Excellent troubleshooting and critical thinking skills
- Basic Microsoft Windows network administration skills. Familiarity with Networks, Windows domains and User management
- Team oriented with the ability to work independently
- Some experience with digital video and audio is helpful but not required
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Skilled in handling stressful situations in a professional manner
- Must consistently demonstrate a commitment to personal and team goals through flexibility, initiative, positive attitude and professionalism
- Ability to handle multiple tasks simultaneously
- Ability to lift 50 lbs
- Flexibility in terms of work schedule: some early morning, nights and weekend may be required as necessary
This is a non-exempt position and the hourly wage is commensurate with experience. PHI offers a generous benefits package including medical, dental, vision, short/long term disability insurance, life insurance, 403b (group retirement annuity) and partial subsidy of public transportation cost. For more information about PHI’s benefits, visit our benefits page at https://www.phi.org.
How to apply:To apply for this position visit our Career Site at https://www.phi.jobs.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA Employer
NO PHONE CALLS PLEASE