COVID-19 has been declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organization. During this difficult time, Prevention Institute is working closely with our policy and community partners to emphasize responses that address both the urgency of the moment and the necessity of sustained investments in policies and systems that allow communities to achieve lasting health, safety, and wellbeing beyond times of crisis. The way we respond to the coronavirus crisis will show who we are as a society. Therefore, Prevention Institute is emphasizing responses that prioritize equity and underline interconnectedness.
State and local public health resources
We recommend you turn to local and state public health departments for the most accurate information about your local area:
Prevention Institute resources
- Podcast: March 20: Coronavirus: from the urgency of reaction to the importance of long-term action (35:36)
- PI statement: March 12: The coronavirus crisis exposes our society’s weaknesses.
- Policy statements:
- March 20: PI and 87 other organizations signed on to a letter urging the Vice President and Congressional leadership to include funding to address current and future mental health and substance use needs.
- March 20: PI and 340 other signatories signed on to a letter to Congressional leadership calling for immigrants to be included in the COVID-19 3.0 relief package.
- March 20: PI signed on to this letter asking Congress to prioritize critically needed funding and resources for our nation’s immigrant population.
- PI signed on to this letter calling on Congressional leaders to provide an additional $4.5 billion in funding for the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, state, local, tribal, and territorial health infrastructure.
- March 13: PI and 55 other national public health organizations signed this letter calling on Congress, the Trump Administration, and state legislators to pass paid sick leave legislation in response to the coronavirus.
Additional COVID19 resources
American Public Health Association
APHA’s COVID19 resource page includes links to trusted sources of information as well as fact sheets, videos, and public health guidance documents.
COVID19 Local Action Tracker
The National League of Cities and Bloomberg Philanthropies are collecting and sharing actions taken by local leaders in response to the COVID-19 pandemic.
ChangeLab Solution’s Coronavirus Law and Policy Resources Webpage
ChangeLab Solutions has gathered resources to help public health practitioners, lawyers, and the general public prepare for this emergency.
Public Health Awakened and The Spirit of 1848 COVID19 Health Justice Resources
Public Health Awakened and The Spirit of 1848 have created an extensive list of resources related to COVID 19 with tabs on issues including housing and homelessness; racism and xenophobia; social distancing; substance misuse; intimate partner violence; jails and prisons; and many others.