COVID-19 has been declared a global pandemic by the World Health Organization. During this difficult time, Prevention Institute is working closely with our policy and community partners to emphasize responses that address both the urgency of the moment and the necessity of sustained investments in policies and systems that allow communities to achieve lasting health, safety, and wellbeing beyond times of crisis. The way we respond to the coronavirus crisis will show who we are as a society. Therefore, Prevention Institute is emphasizing responses that prioritize equity and underline interconnectedness.
We recommend you turn to local and state public health departments for the most accurate information about COVID-19 in your local area:
We also recommend these general resources:
Prevention Institute resources
- Op-ed, February 20, 2021: How California can make the vaccine distribution system more equitable
- Blog, January 26, 2021: Innovations in social connection: How local leaders are addressing inequities and advancing technology solutions during COVID-19
- Toolkit: Preventing trauma and suicide during catastrophic events and beyond
- Op-ed, December 21, 2020: A Historic Surge In Gun Violence Compounds The Traumas Of 2020
- Op-ed, October 19, 2020: Health And Equity Are On The Ballot With Prop. 15
- Podcast, October 7, 2020: 6 Months into the Pandemic: What’s working and what do we still desperately need to do?
- Op-ed, September 11, 2020: Are Cities Willing To Cut Police Spending And Invest In Community Violence Prevention?
- Op-ed, July 6, 2020: Efforts To Silence Public Health Officials Must Stop
- Action Alert, June 22, 2020: Action Alert: Speak out against attacks on public health officials
- Op-ed, May 15, 2020: Bankruptcy And Privatization Will Not Lead Us To Recovery
- Op-ed, May 7, 2020: Opinion: Society Designed The Systems That Created COVID-19 Inequalities — We Can Redesign Them
- Podcast, May 4, 2020: Podcast: Sustainable Communities
- Podcast, April 27, 2020: Cities respond to COVID-19
- Video, April 21, 2020: MC:ID: How we're staying connected
- Op-ed, April 18, 2020: Farmers markets provide healthy food and support local economies. Keep them open during Covid-19 lockdowns
- Blog, April 16, 2020: Supporting safe homes and safe communities during the COVID-19 pandemic—what’s emerging from the field
- Webinar, April 14, 2020: Preventing violence in our homes: Meeting this moment with connection, care, and justice
- Op-ed, March 31, 2020: If we can safely distance at the grocery store, surely we can do the same at parks
- Podcast, March 20, 2020: Coronavirus: from the urgency of reaction to the importance of long-term action
- PI statement, March 12, 2020: The coronavirus crisis exposes our society’s weaknesses.
Healthy, equitable communities
System of prevention/public health infrastructure
Policy and advocacy
- February 23, 2021: PI signed onto a letter to prioritize youth in the American Rescue Plan
- February 16, 2021: PI signed on to a letter supporting the American Rescue Act
- December 18, 2020: PI joined letters to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and the Biden COVID taskforce to ensure immigrant access to vaccines.
- December 15, 2020: PI joined a letter sharing recommendations for the Biden-Harris COVID-19 Task Force.
- November 20, 2020: PI signed on to a "First Year Health Policy Priorities Letter for Biden Transition Team"
- October 15, 2020: PI signed on to H.R. 7689, the Improving Data Collection for Adverse Childhood Experiences Act.
- October 14, 2020: Along with 13 other public health organizations Prevention Institute signed on to a statement condemning the Great Barrington Declaration–the herd immunity scheme for controlling the spread of SARS CoVID-2.
- For policy statements prior to October 14, 2020, see the PI policy portal.