Prevention Institute (PI), a nonprofit, national center is seeking applications for the position of Program Assistant. Determined to improve health and safety for everyone, PI builds prevention and equity into key policies and actions to transform the places where people live, work, play, and learn. PI’s work is characterized by an interdisciplinary approach and a strong commitment to community participation and promotion of equitable health outcomes among all social and economic groups. Since its founding in 1997, PI has forged a strong track record in developing tools, building momentum for primary prevention, and in moving policy- and decision-makers toward an ever greater focus on community well-being and prevention. Our topical work includes advancing community prevention through health systems transformation; promoting health equity; fostering healthy environments, such as those that support healthy eating and active living; mental health and well-being; and preventing injury, including unintentional injuries, violence and trauma.
Program Assistant responsibilities include:
- Topical Project Support: Provide administrative and programmatic support to one or more topical teams including scheduling and organizing meetings, events, and interviews; assistance with research and/or writing on papers, articles, project reports and grants; scheduling team meetings; and preparing materials to support effective meetings.
- Training and Technical Assistance Support: Assist in development of training materials (e.g. work sheets, PowerPoint presentations) for community-based and government practitioners; assist with preparation for events, conferences, consultations, and presentations, including preparation of materials and logistical support.
- Operational Support: Implement office/administrative systems to ensure an efficiently running organization; share responsibility for administrative and detail work across the organization in support of project and organization success; answer phones and respond to requests for information; greet guest; provide administrative support to directors; supervise office assistants.
- Other: Pitching in on other assignments as needed; other duties and responsibilities as assigned.
About this position: The Program Assistant position includes support of topical work and assistance on organizational functions/operations. This position will likely provide support to at least one of the topical areas listed above, which will be determined based on need and interest. The ideal candidate will be able to remain flexible and work across topical teams and operational tasks as needed. This support position has been designed for people early in their careers specifically to support the work of the organization while providing exposure to prevention practice, advocacy and policy, including the field of public health. The mix of topical and operational assignments also provides an opportunity to understand the range of elements that contribute to the effective functioning of a non-profit organization and to develop transferable job skills. Most previous program assistants have gone on to graduate school (in public health, social work, public policy, law or medicine), been promoted within the organization, or applied their newly developed skills in other non-profit or government settings that share a common vision.
- Bachelor's degree and/or minimum two years’ relevant experience
- Excellent writing skills
- Effective oral communication skills
- Well-organized, attention to detail, and able to meet deadlines
- Flexibility and ability to work on multiple tasks
- Ability to conduct library/internet research
- Computer proficiency
- Commitment to prevention
- Willingness to take on administrative responsibilities and tasks
- Creative mind, thriving in a team environment
**We strongly encourage applicants of color, LGBTQI, and bilingual candidates to apply**
Salary and Benefits: Competitive salary, excellent benefit package & retirement plan. The appropriate salary level is determined by a review of relevant experience and set according to a principle of transparency and equity.
To Apply: Please send a cover letter, resume, and brief writing sample email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Incomplete applications will not be considered. No phone calls, please.